Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

No Excuse for Shameful Behavior


To the dear readers of this periodical,

I write this letter in a flurry of emotion, still entirely shocked by the behavior I witnessed at the ball at W--- House. When I was a girl, such vulgar manners were wholeheartedly rejected. I simply cannot perceive what the world is coming to. I actually witnessed several young ladies arranging their hair while still on the dance floor. I consider it my duty to offer a reminder that the family hosting the ball will never fail to have comfortable dressing rooms for the ladies and gentlemen to use. It is inexcusably rude to fix one’s appearance in a public area.
The gentlemen at the ball who had the audacity to ask ladies to dance without ever having been introduced ought to be positively ashamed of themselves. Ladies, if subjected to such rudeness, should refuse the offer of the dance. Accepting would only be encouraging the gentlemen’s undue familiarity. I hope to observe more pleasing manners at the next ball I attend.

With concern,
Miss M.

No comments:

Post a Comment